The Trautonium History: The Beginning
The Volkstrautonium | The Rundfunktrautonium | The Konzerttrautonium | The Mixturtrautonium
The Halbleitertrautonium | The Senatstrautonium | The Trautonium 2000
In 1927 the 'Rundfunkversuchstelle' RVS was founded in Berlin with the intention
to examine the relationship between music and Technique in broadcasting. There
Dr. Friedrich Trautwein became a Professor for musical
acoustics in 1929.
Trautwein has had the idea of developing an electrical musical instrument. Because of the budget the instrument should be an easy construction.
He finally had the idea to clamp a resistor wire - in a little distance and electrically isolated - above a long metall rail. He connected a glow lamp and a tube to the construction. The grid voltage of the glow lamp was determined by the point, where the resistor wire touches the rail while playing. This changes the frequency of the oscillated Saw Tooth Wave and thereby the pitch of sound.
The so in labor developed gear - the first Trautonium - was prepared for demonstration in 1930.
Oskar Sala, Paul Hindemith and the pianist
Rudolph Schmidt did play compositions by Hindemith at the Festival
Of New Music in Berlin. Motivated from the great response on the
first concert immediately afterward the "Concertino für
Trautonium und Streichorchester" followed also composed by
Paul Hindemith. This piece was performed first in Munich on a convetion
for radio-music in 1931.
Copyright ©Jürgen Hiller 2001-2003